Adult Sex Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #1 
The Itawamba County School District in Mississippi has decided to cancel this year's senior prom. This came after an 18 year old female student, Constance McMillen, asked permission to wear a tux and bring her girlfriend to the event. (Why did she even ask?)

The school board announced:

"Due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events, the Itawamba County School District has decided to not host a prom at Itawamba Agricultural High School this year. It is our hope that private citizens will organize an event for the juniors and seniors, however, at this time, we feel that it is in the best interest of the Itawamba County School District, after taking into consideration the education, safety and well being of our students."

So they think it'd be safer for kids to organize this event on their own? How's that? Constance says after facing her dissapointed classmates in school:

"All I want is the same chance to enjoy my prom night like any other student. But my school would rather hurt all the students than treat everyone fairly. This isn't just about me and my rights anymore — now I'm fighting for the opportunity of all the students at my school to have our prom."

Constance McMillen has challenged the school’s decision through The American Civil Liberties Union.

sources: CarnalNation, SexInThePublicSquare

Roadie

Reply with quote  #2 
There was another quote from Ms McMillan after the board voted and she returned to school...

She said she got lots of hateful stares and overheard one of her classmates say "thanks for ruining my senior year."

How sad is that? Instead of helping her, I would think her classmates would help her. Are the kids in school in Mississippi that homophobic?

And no offense to those that believe in what they do...but I think the Amercian Civil Liberties Union needs to keep their collective fucking noses out of it!

Adriana

Reply with quote  #3 
I read about this, so sad. I hope some students and/or teachers and/or parents get together and host their own prom!
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #4 
Here's a little video interview with Constance and her lawyer on CBS.

She's a sweetheart. Discrimination against people based on their sexual preferences is so depressing. Who are any of us to say how or why another should live their life?

(via Towleroad)

Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey, can we get rid of Mississippi? Maybe give it to China for part of our debt? We could throw in a few more of these inbread southern states like Alabama. Mississippi? Wow. You think a place that claims a sewer like New Orleans would be a little more liberal and reasonable. Obviously they haven't walked down the streets of New Orleans because you see more guys holding hands there than you do in North Hollywood or San Francisco. But then again in Mississippi they still think they won the civil war, don't they?

After spending thirty years in education I have come to the reluctant conclusion that today education is fucked up. Talk about distractions. Most of them start at home with parents who want to be their kid's 'buddies.' Look at the way the girls dress for school. I've seen hookers more tastefully attired on the street corners. And around all those hormonal teenage boys. whew. No wonder they're not learning anything. If I was still in the classroom I'd be distracted.

I don't know where you live, but here in California the whole thing is imploding. Suburban graduation rates are nothing to brag about and in the inner city it deplorable. Are we sinking to the level of "Idiocracy?" Hank   
P Gell

Reply with quote  #6 
I am sure the reason they canceled the Prom was to get people to blame poor Constance. I remember the "punish everybody for the actions of one, and the crowd will take care of them" tactics when I was in school. It's a horrible method of doing things with young people!

I am glad to say two lesbian couples attended my oldest child's Prom. In one couple, both young women rented tuxes in the other, one wore a cute tux, with a low cut blouse and the other a very beautiful dress. Our High School also has a very active Gay Straight Alliance (a group in which GLBT kids and straight kids get to know each other and learn tolerance) and all three of my kids who are either through with HS or still in it are members.

Some parents tried to ban the group, but as the school also allows independent prayer groups (which many public schools do not allow) they really didn't have a leg to stand on (and I am not saying that GLBT is the antithesis to prayer groups, but some in the prayer groups thought so) and the group has stayed strong.

I hope this young woman, Constance can reconnect with her peers, The canceling of the Prom was not her fault.

Such a Sad, Intolerant world. 

Reply with quote  #7 
Wanda Sykes said, "Mississippi...they're always at the forefront of being on the wrong side of history..." 
Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #8 
P Gell: You're absolutely right and try this one on for size. After almost forty years in the class room I've come to the conclusion that when we finally clean house in government we need to use the same rag and ditto education. Most of the gutless chicken shit administrators and board members I've known were clowns that wouldn't have survived in the classroom long enough to be tenured and this is what fosters that kind of treatment of our young people. HHH
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #9 
Court Rules That Mississippi School Violated First Amendment Rights Of Lesbian Student

Read it here: http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/court-rules-mississippi-school-violated-first-amendment-rights-lesbian-student

Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #10 
Yeah, but by the time they get this settled in The United States Supreme Court the seniors will be graduated and gone and the kids still got screwed. Education has become such a mess that I think you'll find this to be just the tip of the iceberg. I retired from the classroom about ten years ago and I still love teaching. I still work part time for an adult school three nights a week. What a pleasure. I no longer have to deal with kids who don't want to learn and parents that  want to be  their kid's primary defense counsel and their buddy.

You know what a buddy is, don't you? A friend who was in the navy said, "It's a shipmate who goes ashore and gets two blow jobs and comes back and gives you one!" That was a combination joke and a slam. But seriously, being a parent is more than a biological accident. Keep track of what you're kids are doing in school and don't expect the teachers to be mom and dad too. There are so many distractions today it's a miracle anyone learns anything anymore.

Did you ever wonder why parochial schooled kids do so much better? For one thing they have a much more disciplined environment. Just look at the kids going into our public schools in the morning. The young 'ladies' dress like hookers going out to work the streets and if you send them home then you have to deal with the idiot parent who let them go dressed like that. So much for the hormonal boys; you just lost half the class's attention.

Do your kids really need their cell phones at school? Or do you just lack the balls to take them away from them during the school day. They're texting and sexting while they should be paying attention. Their shenanigans  have left us with a near illiterate generation approaching "Idiocracy." Maybe that's why we're getting our asses kicked in the international market place. If you doubt me just watch Jay Leno when he does Jay-walking. It's very disturbing. And don't blame the school system when junior can't read. Did you help him? We only had him for six hours and in the undisciplined environment that the classroom has evolved to he was probably only paying attention for half of that. HHH 
P Gell

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH

P Gell: You're absolutely right and try this one on for size. After almost forty years in the class room I've come to the conclusion that when we finally clean house in government we need to use the same rag and ditto education. Most of the gutless chicken shit administrators and board members I've known were clowns that wouldn't have survived in the classroom long enough to be tenured and this is what fosters that kind of treatment of our young people. HHH

You are damn right! I have a lot of teachers in my family, and my own Dad is (retired) a College Professor. Their opinions are the same as yours. IMO, administrators should have to do at least every 4th semester IN the classroom, and keep up their skills.

Wow, the MS Supreme Court ruled in favor of the young woman. Cool. Will wonders ever cease?

Reply with quote  #12 
Yeah, Hank, I am proudly not "Best Friends" with any of my four children. I'm their Mom, I kick their asses (not literally, but damn, I'm one scary Mama.) I'm the adult, I act like it, and I am here to GUIDE them, not befriend them.. And, when they get old enough, they thank me for not embarrassing them with either "friendship" or getting in the way too much.

Sure I like my kids, and I love them. But, friends? No. Most of my friends are my own age. I don't raise my friends, I don't befriend my kids....Love and respect are something else.

Reply with quote  #13 
God, if there were only more like you P gel. HHH
PrincessKLS

Reply with quote  #14 
I live VA (southwestern region of the state), we aren't exactly or south but mid atlantic but depending on the region you either have a more northern or southern attitude. I live where people tend have more of a southern attitude, up until quite recently we were  very homophobic and also phobic of other minorities such as the disabled. I remember when I was a senior there was this girl was also a senior and she wanted to take an underclassman female as a friend and she was shocked when they gave a weird excuse not to let her buy a ticket for her friend, she knew part of the reason was homophobia.  She was new that year, she claimed to come from a more progressive part of Texas and our small, rednecky school was a shock to her system.
PrincessKLS

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabu Toypro

Wanda Sykes said, "Mississippi...they're always at the forefront of being on the wrong side of history..." 

Didn't they also have issues with blacks during the civil rights movement? I've heard that there's still a lot of small towns in the south that don't support the rights of blacks, and other minorities, I can't expect them to be tolerant of gays. And when I first heard about this story I thought it was in Arkansas, so my first thought was, " what do we expect from a state that has the Duggars living in it". (Basically those parents who had 20 kids for religious reasons, they believe in dressing like they are living in the show, Little House on the Prarie, don't allow their kids to date, their kids have to start courting as adults when they decide to get married and have to wait until they are married to even kiss, sex is out of the question, and their father was a Republican representative for Arkansas back in the late 90s. I haven't heard of them saying they are against homosexuality and their legal rights but given their background, they probably are.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.