Adult Sex Forum

Author   Comment  
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #1 
The Catholic Church isn't too thrilled, but a Rome high school has installed a condom vending machine in hopes of curbing teen pregnancy and HIV. This isn't the first news of its kind, as several other European high-schools have already experimented with condom dispensers in schools. Some say it'll encourage kids to have sex, others realize it's about education and prevention.

What's your take on condom distribution in high-schools?

source: msnbc:sexual health

P Gell

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabu Toypro

What's your take on condom distribution in high-schools?

IMO, it is a fantastic idea. It isn't going to make anyone who isn't already having sex have it, just help the kids who are already having sex be more protected.

When I was in High School, we had Smoking Areas. You were supposed to have your parents sign a permission slip, but most of the kids just signed them themselves.  I have never smoked a tobacco cigarette, I have never wanted to, and the smoking areas didn't "make me" smoke or give me permission to do so. Many of us used the smoking areas as a social area, and no one was "offended" and the bathrooms were safer and you could breathe while you went pee.

When they took the smoking areas away, kids started smoking in the bathrooms again, (thus exposing NON smokers to second hand smoke) and making "criminals" of kids who were going to smoke anyway. It solved no problems, and the smoking area solved a LOT of problems. (ANd got kids used to smoking outside for the laws passed a generation later.)

My point is, simply having access to something doesn't CAUSE anyone to do it who wasn't going to anyway. I NEVER smoked a cigarette in the Smoking Areas at school, and simply having them there wouldn't cause me to.

My oldest daughter is a birth control evangelist (as I was at her age, I used to hand out tubes of spermicide at school)  She gets condoms from Planned Parenthood and passes them around, and NOBODY who isn't already having sex, or ready to have sex is going to start fucking just because a condom is lying around.

EVERY High School and College should have a bowl of condoms (regular and NON latex ones) in every rest room, dorm quad and cafeteria.

Reply with quote  #3 
P Gell: There aren't too many people as level headed as you. If there were we wouldn't have the teenage pregnancy rate or frequency of STD's we have now. I worked in a continuation school that allowed smoking and I bought the kids ash trays to keep them in class. Then the parents who already couldn't control their kids elected a bunch of pin heads on the board and they changed the policy. All of a sudden everyone had to go to the bathroom and half of them learned nothing.

It's the same thing with sex. I have a friend who thinks her daughter is a virgin. My guess is she'll be a mother before her folks have the guts or the brains to take her to a doctor and get her protected. HHH 
P Gell

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you, Hank.

My kids know I will either take them to the doctor or Planned Parenthood when they are even contemplating starting their sex lives.

I've bought Plan B for (with) one of my kids, explaining "This is for emergencies only." and they knows this, but this kid had a condom incident. Stuff happens. Better to let the kids know "It's here if you need it." I was awoken one night by a tearful youngster, saying, "Mama, the condom broke, what am I gonna do?" So, the next morning we headed for the drug store, bought the Plan B (the kid bought it, as it is the  child's responsibility) and I was not the grandmother of an unwanted kid. My kids will wait to have kids. But, the child came to me knowing I would be there with support and help.

One of mine waited until she was 20 to start her sex life, the others (so far) were younger, but simply having birth control condoned by your parents doesn't "cause" or "give permission." Is isn't' UP to me to "Give permission" for my teen age or eary 20s kids to have a sex life, just my responsibility to make sure they are educated, and know the myself and their father is there if they need to talk, need advice or anything.

Even with this, one of mine so far as "waited" until she was older, simply because hse wasn't ready. If eduction were to cause sex, my kids would have been active in Junior High (as I start educating them as soon as they can identify their body parts) and NONE of them did this. They were ready when they were ready. Education NEVER hurt anyone and has helped many.

So many of my acquaintances are so stupid about sex and their kids, they either think their kids are "not doing it, because I told them to wait until marriage" (yeah, that works) or say nothing at tall, and then are "surprised" when they are grandparents in their late 30s. We know a couple with the MOST "strict" unyielding religion based household, and they have more (unplanned) grand-kids, from teenager children, and still can't figure out why. Yeah, Not letting a kid watch MTV or The Simpsons  didn't prevent those pregnancies in their kids and their son's girlfreind, but they somehow thought that, with NO sex education would. Idiots.

Reply with quote  #5 
Condom distribution is good but are kids really going to use it? I don't know.
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #6 
I hope so. I'm so tired of hearing the "but it doesn't feel the same" excuse. First off, how would you know? I ask a lot of people that question and it's sad that they can't even back up that claim.

Condoms need to be in advertising, front and center, not hidden behind some cutesy innuendo or restricted to late night tv. Condoms need to be seen in mainstream films. Tons of PG-13 films show sex scenes, and even if they aren't being explicit within the scene, film makers could a least show a hand reaching for a condom. I mean, we all know what they're doing, even if it's just suggested by heavy breathing and grinding under the covers.

dreamer60
Reply with quote  #7 
When I started High School, I signed up for Personal developement classes which dealt with issues like teen sex and birth control education. When my Dad found out he hit the roof and demanded I drop the courses. He had that mentality that if I knew how to prevent pregnancy, i'd be fucking my brains out before my 16th birthday. I swore I'd be different with my kids. We always discussed sexual issues openly. I wasn't stupid enough to think they would wait til they met Mr. or Ms right to do the deed. My step daughter wound up preggers and I caught the blame from my parents because they said I had taaught her it was ok to screw around. NO... what I taught her was to be careful IF she had sex. She intentionally skipped her pills to get preggers.
P Gell

Reply with quote  #8 
Adriana brought up "Will they use it?" I don't know, but Access Equals Power!!!!

You can't make a young couple use birth control, but at least if you have given them the information, in a non-judgmental way, they have the choice to use it. With no access and no information only a small number will do anything to prevent pregnancy and we'll have the kind of teen pregnancy rates we saw in the 1950s (the highest teen pregnancy rates in the last 150 years in the USA were in the 50s,. you have restrictive environments, NO access to birth control, sexism rampant, abortion was illegal and illegal abortions were dangerous, and girls were actually educated that men were there to have sex with to "get things" for themselves.

Most of teh teen moms I know now got pregnant to "get something" from the baby daddy. (His attention, his dedication, his money, a (gag) engagement ring etc) problem is, almost all of them are still single and got NOTHING from these boys.  Sex as a Commodity has never worked (unless one is in the Sex Industry, then I say, go for it, but these women don't usually have unwanted pregnancies) and it certainly doesn't work for teenagers or anyone who wants a relationship.

Only when we let our young kids know "You get out of sex what you put into it, It isn't a form of bribery, extortion or bargaining. ONLY have sex if you want sex. Avoid disease and pregnancy. And bringing a child into the world who no one really wanted never solved any problems." will they know how to act like adults. Of course, many adults don't even realize this, witness the people who think they can keep their kids away from sex by simply not talking about it.

No one can force someone to use birth control, but knowing about it is the first step, access is the second.

Reply with quote  #9 
Some people still seem to be operating on the assumption that lack of access to birth control will curb teen sex. On what planet can you ever imagine this happening?

Horny teenage boy: Oh Baby..you feel so good. Let's do it.
Horny teenage girl: Do you have..you know.. something? Protection?
Horny teenage boy: No, but my testicles feel like two exploding grapefruit..
Horny Teenage girl: But our actions could have consequences!
Horny teenage boy: You're right. Let's just abstain and go drink a soda pop.
Horny Teenage Girl: Abstinence ROCKS!

dreamer60
Reply with quote  #10 
I made birth control available to my kids AND I preached abstinence...lol. It was  "I want you to be more mature and have your life in order before you have sex, but I know you're gonna do what you want, so you need to take precautions."
My step daughter got pregnant to get out of the house and away from her drunken father...bottom line. She also thought that since the baby's father always got everything handed to him by his parents that she would have it made once she had his baby. What happened was the parents stopped handing over to their son and would only buy the things the baby needed. She divorced him after only 4 months.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.