Adult Sex Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
TabuToys Moderator
Reply with quote  #1 
Thu, 09/25/2008 - 10:22 — Metis Black of Tantus Silicone

I have a passion for the adult industry- I think we do a public service by making and selling products that improve people's lives. Nowhere is that more apparent than our making and marketing personal lubricants.

I remember when personal lube choices were limited. It was a choice between KY Jelly (never made for the friction of sex, it became gummy and made rubber cement like balls all over you) and Crisco (rancid sheets and bacterial infections).

Lubes have definitely come a long way. I walked one distributor's hallowed isles of lubricant last year- 3 full long isles, with both sides completely packed.

Not all lubes are equal though. After researching ingredients such as glycerin, parabens and propylene glycol (the mainstays of most water-based lubricants and all of which irritate some people), I came to realize the complexity of making good lubricant; lubricant that stays slick and slippery for extended encounters, that worked with the body and didn't affect the body negatively.

The simplicity of silicone's three ingredients won me over: Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, and Cyclomethicone.

But what's a silicone toy maker doing writing about silicone lube?

Silicone lubricant is the smartest health safe option in the market. There are no topical body reactions to pure silicone lube. There are no irritations, no allergens and no microbes that can attach to the molecules and grow bacteria. It's been around for 20 years as the lubrication on your pre-lubricated condoms. Still there are a lot of misnomers about these products. Hopefully I can give you a few answers for the questions that are asked daily.

Aren't silicone lubricants and silicone toys incompatible? Well yes and no. Depending on the grade of silicone lubricant used and the grade of silicone used in the toys, there is a chance that the lubricant will bond to the toy, creating a gummy mess. Tantus uses platinum grade silicone, so we rarely have a problem with any lubricant; I still recommend people do patch tests on the bottom flange of their dildo to make certain there will be no reaction. The bonding is an immediate chemical reaction and it's impossible to clean a toy that has lube bonded to it.

Silicone lubricant doesn't wash off; that can't be good for you. 100% Silicone lubricant with no aloe and no vitamin E or any other fillers, is completely inert. It has no affect upon the body. We use personal lubricants in vaginal and anal orifices, which are made for ridding the body of extra waste. The silicone will quickly be eliminated by the body's own natural methods. I always want to ask the critics that bring this point up: do you douche or have an enema after using water-based lubricant? If not, your body rids water-based lubes the same way.

How can silicone be so safe when leaking silicone breast implants can be fatal? Let me explain what happens regarding implants. Theoretically, silicone breast implants should be safe because the silicone gel encapsulated in the breast form is inert, right? Even when leaking, they shouldn't interfere with any of the body's chemistry. The problem is this: the loose silicone in your blood system while inert is still a foreign body. It isn't absorbed into your blood like saline. Your white blood cells recognize the silicone and try to fight this invader. If the silicone adheres to a bone, your white blood cells attack the bone. Silicone lubricant never hits your bloodstream. It's in your digestive tract and protected by skin no matter which orifice you put it in- even if you swallow a little. In fact many gel capsules you buy from the pharmacy are packed with silicone lubricant.

Silicone lubricant is so thin, is it safe for anal? Silicone molecules have a spherical shape. These microscopic spheres roll over each other like ball bearings. The lubrication is perfect for anal use, it's just very different from water-based ingredients or fatty oils. Using silicone lubricants anally reduces the need for reapplication.

There's a wide price gap for certain silicone lubes, are all silicone lubes the same? Health wise, as long as there are no additives, the answer is yes. But the viscosity of silicone lubricant, the thickness, changes from product to product.

Dimethicone is much denser than the other two silicones - it's also more expensive as a raw ingredient.

Silicone lubricants are more expensive because of the cost of these special liquids. But the premium grade ones, such as ID Velvet and Eros Pjur have a much more velvety finish than the other, less expensive silicones.

Try a rub test between your thumb and forefinger, you can feel the subtleties- you can feel them even more in use with toys or partners. I am a connoisseur- I love, and prefer, the richness of these premium lubes.

Our business is about improving people's quality of life, giving the public products to make their experiences safer and more satisfying. To use "novelty" regarding lubes is a misnomer; what they really are is "essential". Silicone lubricants not only raise the bar of intimacy products, they are the bench mark.
Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for the advice. So far you haven't lead me wrong. I purchased both the Eros body glide and the back door lube and my wife really likes them. Not to mention that a little bit goes a long way and you don't have a gooey mess when you're done. She was fussy about that but not now. Thanks Karma, and others. Hank
Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #3 
This may be nothing to worry about but it's a nagging concern I've had for some time regarding silicone used in sex toys. I taught scuba diving for a number of years and when the manufacturers started using silicone based rubber in our regulators  and other equipment a lot of other people whose opinions I respected got concerned about something called, "silicosis." Please don't hold me to the spelling but their concerns were about cancer. I've got a silicone based rubber diving mask that's going on thirty years old and the conventional black rubber ones have deteriorated and been thrown away long ago. I'm just wondering about our sex toys? Any body have any input on this? Hank
Tabu Toypro

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Alvarez

This may be nothing to worry about but it's a nagging concern I've had for some time regarding silicone used in sex toys. I taught scuba diving for a number of years and when the manufacturers started using silicone based rubber in our regulators  and other equipment a lot of other people whose opinions I respected got concerned about something called, "silicosis." Please don't hold me to the spelling but their concerns were about cancer. I've got a silicone based rubber diving mask that's going on thirty years old and the conventional black rubber ones have deteriorated and been thrown away long ago. I'm just wondering about our sex toys? Any body have any input on this? Hank

Interesting question! So far the only info I can find has been about the lung complications from breathing in dust particles of silica.

Here's a quote: It is found in sand, many rocks such as granite, sandstone, flint and slate, and in some coal and metallic ores. The cutting, breaking, crushing, drilling, grinding, or abrasive blasting of these materials may produce fine silica dust. Silicosis is an occupational hazard to mining, sandblasting, quarry, ceramics and foundry
workers, as well as grinders, stonecutters and those continually exposed to silica dust.

It can be deadly so I can only imagine the concern! I haven't seen anything realted to silicone gels, lubricants or toys. I will continue my quest for info. Thanks for your awesome feedback, Hank!

Hank Alvarez

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the research Karma. After talking to two MD's and not getting what I consider a reasonable answer I didn't know where to look. I've only got one wife and I wouldn't want to have to break in a new one this late in life. What's scared me and made me such a cynic is the crap I grew up around and we found out later was killing people. We have a lot of youngsters involved here and I feel a certain responsibility to them as well. Thanks again, Hank
Roadie

Reply with quote  #6 
OK...now you got me thinking and wondering. Dreamer and I have LOTS of foreplay. Because places can get dry and sensitive, we looked around until we 'discovered' silicone lubricants (started with Jo and now use Gun Oil cuz its cheaper). We are both very oral. I ask Dreamer if the Fun Oil tasted bad or left an aftertaste...as I had personally found nothing offensive about the taste of it. She agreed with me that there is no bad taste.

So now my question is...is ingesting this stuff bad for you? Will using it during intercourse cause damage down the road?

I'm so confused!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.