P Gell
Or is it just an other way to get people to take pharmaceuticals, get business for expensive treatment centers and let rich famous people not have to be responsible when they "get caught" by saying "It's a disease! I can't help it."

By this definition (being contemplated by some psychiatric workers) would you qualify?

To be diagnosed with the disorder, a patient would have to chronically experience four of the following five situations:
1)spending a “great deal of time” consumed by sexual fantasies and urges;
2)using sexual behavior to deal with stressful life events (or anxiety, depression, boredom or irritability); 3)disregarding the “physical and emotional harm” to those involved
4)trying but failing to curb the behavior. 
5) must have suffered distress and harm to their everyday life.

Who is to say what determines "suffered distress"  means (I do, if I don't come, or My Man isn't in the mood, what about a yeast infection? Should one stop having sex so it never happens again?) or who is to say  what "a great deal of time" is?  "Great emotional or physical harm to those involved" Like, if i don't feel like it, or My Man falls off the bed again? Who doesn't use sex to cure boredom, anxiety or depression? Is a pill a better option? Not if sex works, IMO.

And, if you enjoying yourself and not in any great harm, how many people are 'trying to curb the behavior?"

Methinks there's more to this than "helping people." Pharmaceutical companies, Treatment Centers and Rich Guys Who Cheat tend to really benefit the most from "Sex Addiction" becoming a real "disorder."

With the exception of number 4......The Man and I are in trouble.........

I'm not really worried.
I can be tolerant of almost anything....except Intolerance........and Dairy Products
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
I suppose it could exist but it'd probably be extremely rare.
Shop safe at Tabutoys.com
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
tuffty

I like this post it,s raises afew very interesting points and highlites a growing trend in our views on what addiction is ? I herd some expert the other day on TV say that the first signs of any sexual addiction is the leading a dual life ? A secret life that involes sex i assume ? I lead a dual life as a secret online chatter ....lol....and i love to talk about or get involed with cyber but i don,t feel my life is out of control , i do feel i,m a cheating ass and i really should,nt be doing this online but also it,s an outlet and an escape for me .
                              My sex addiction came into place due partly to great stress,s in my life but also becuase of the NET ? Without the net would i have become a sex addict or chat addict ? I am not a sex addict in as much that i go around paying women for sex nor do i feel the constant need for sex i have never slept with another woman in all my married life.....but i  have cybered quite alot and that has helped me through my dark times. If i was answering those questions my answer,s would be no to all the questions apart from 4  which i would maybe admit to ....i do wish i did,nt spend as much time on the net as i do ? but who does,nt spend to much time on the net and what about gamers who play games for endless hours ? ....lol.... i don,t think it,s harming my life to any great extent.....and also in the sceme of things it seems like a small problem.....i don,t drink , don,t smoke , don,t gamble , what the hell am i suppose to do !!!....lol....and as for my sex life ....it could be alot better so for me it,s away to cope and not get into a real relationship that could be a diaster......but i think the issue is addiction itself and the nature of addiction and how we interpet it ?
               What is it ?
               How is it affecting your life ?
               Will it harm to you ?
           We all have addictions to something .....chocolate ....booze ....sex....drugs...the list is endless...I think there is a hystiaria about sex ....it,s everywhere and way over played....yes it,s great fun ....yes we all love it ....but i do think the media has made it almost a drug for everyone ? Is it healthy or is it distructive forse that runin's lives ?

Not a clue .....but i feel my little secret life has helped me through some hellish times....and if there is a price to pay one day.... so be it....we all have choices.

Great post    P Gell ....      

Everything you touch
Everything you see
Is all that your life will ever be 
Quote 0 0
dreamer60
I think anything can become an addiction.
Addiction is described as obsessive and compulsive behavior by the twelve step programs. It's something a person thinks he/she can quit any time they want, but when they try the desire for it redoubles. It's becoming totally unmamangable.
I would definately see where it would be possible to become addicted to sex since it does give you a sense of euphoria and a sense of well being at least for a while. That's what any drug will do.
Quote 0 0
Hank Alvarez
It seems to me that anything that interferes with your life and becomes an obsession, something you can't do without, is potentially a problem. How you go about dealing with it has to be important.I think everything in its time and place and in moderation is okay.

A friend lost his business, home and family to "nose candy" in the eighties. That's an addiction. Another friend lost every dime he made to the tables at Vegas. I think that's an addiction. And some people can't get through a day without Jack Daniels. Shrinks say that's an addiction, but pussy? Come on.

It's a known fact that the more pussy you get the more you want and if you want more and you can get more then what's the harm? I think it's okay as long as you're not fuckin' when you're supposed to be workin'. But don't let it get a hold of you like the big three listed above where that's all you think about. I think some of us are just hyper-sexual. A good rule to go by is: don't run into trees in your SUV when your wife is chasing after you with a nine iron because you'll never hear the end of it. Hank 
Quote 0 0
tuffty

Endorphins are to blame !!!.....lol..the little buggers give a high when we get excited and elated about something be it sex or anything that gives us a buzz so to speak ....We then crave to recreate this feeling , this natural high ...maybe with some folk it becomes an addiction ? The need to have that buzz is like a junkie needs a fix or maybe like a jogger who has the same kind of high from jogging....perhaps the same is true with sex ? i think we all have addictions to greater or lesser degrees....some people or Obsessive compulsives....perhaps it,s a personailty thing ? There are many many addictions if you look it up , so why not sex ! Also if it,s good enough for celebrities why can,t us common poor folk have it to  !!.....lol   
Everything you touch
Everything you see
Is all that your life will ever be 
Quote 0 0
Adriana
I read a piece about a man who considered himself a sex addict. He spent ridiculous amounts of time procuring and then getting his next orgasm. It really was like the obsession people develop over drugs or other addictive things. It completely took over his life and, when you get to that point, it's pretty obvious to see how detrimental it is.  There is a big difference between people who like sex a lot and have it healthily and those who have completely succumbed to it.

But I do think that it's a term used to alleviate people of personal responsibility and most cases are not severe enough to warrant calling it an addiction.
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
Adriana, Exactamundo...and look, you're a Hero Member now woo-woo!
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
Timely piece on SexInThePublicSquare about the newly dubbed "Hypersexual Disorder" (nice for sex addict) and the criteria for the labeling:

A.    Over a period of at least six months, recurrent and intense sexual fantasies, sexual urges, and sexual behavior in association with four or more of the following five criteria:

(1)   A great deal of time is consumed by sexual fantasies and urges, and by planning for and engaging in sexual behavior. [15]

(2)   Repetitively engaging in these sexual fantasies, urges, and behavior in response to dysphoric mood states (e.g., anxiety, depression, boredom, irritability). [16]

(3)   Repetitively engaging in sexual fantasies, urges, and behavior in response to stressful life events. [17]

(4)   Repetitive but unsuccessful efforts to control or significantly reduce these sexual fantasies, urges, and behavior. [18]

(5)   Repetitively engaging in sexual behavior while disregarding the risk for physical or emotional harm to self or others. [19]

B.    There is clinically significant personal distress or impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning associated with the frequency and intensity of these sexual fantasies, urges, and behavior. [20]

C.     These sexual fantasies, urges, and behavior are not due to the direct physiological effect of an exogenous substance (e.g., a drug of abuse or a medication). [21] 

Now, check out Elizabeth's Blog on SexInThePublicSquare for her take on this criteria as well as some excellent resources for healthy sexual information to counter the "medicalization of sexuality". I especially like the ice cream truck idea.
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Adriana
Awesome, I hadn't even noticed!
Quote 0 0