TabuToys Moderator
While most awards recognize the outstanding, the excellent, and the truly great works of literature, there are those awards that are handed out as black eyes to those works that are truly noteworthy because they are so very bad.

This annual award is organized by the London-based Literary Review and was founded in 1993 as an attempt to discourage such painful descriptions of sex. Or, as they like to put it: "to draw attention to the crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description in the modern novel, and to discourage it."

Here are some excerpts from past winners:

Their jaws ground in feverish mutual mastication. Saliva and sweat. Sweat and saliva. There was a purposeful shedding of clothing. From Philip Hook's "Stonebreakers."

Her hand is moving away from my knee and heading north. Heading unnervingly and with a steely will towards the pole ... Ever northward moves her hand, while she smiles languorously at my right ear. And when she reaches the north pole, I think in wonder and terror -- she will surely want to pitch her tent. From Christopher Hart's "Rescue Me."

Hoyt began moving his lips as if he were trying to suck the ice cream off the top of a cone without using his teeth ... Slither slither slither slither went the tongue, but the hand that was what she tried to concentrate on, the hand, since it has the entire terrain of her torso to explore and not just the otorhinolaryngological caverns ... From Tom Wolfe's "I am Charlotte Simmons."

Or the most gag-inducing oral sex passage from Norman Mailer's "Castle in the Forest", in which he compares an erection to a coil of excrement. We'll spare you the gritty details.

Quote 0 0
Adriana
I've read Castle in the Forest LOL What makes it worse is the book is about HITLER.
Quote 0 0