Tabu Toypro
BY CHRISTINA BOYLE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, December 21st 2008

Hell hath no fury like a breast-feeding mom scorned.

A minirevolt is underway at Facebook after photos of mothers nursing their babies were removed from their personal pages.

More than 58,000 people have joined a Facebook group called "Hey, Facebook, breastfeeding is not obscene!" to complain about the censorship.

Organizers will conduct a cyberprotest Saturday, asking every supporter to change his or her profile picture to an image of breast-feeding.

"We need to take our bodies back," said mom Stephanie Muir, one of the group's administrators.

"Whether there's a nipple exposed or not, female breasts, specifically in the context of breast-feeding, should not be considered obscene."

The group was set up more than a year ago after a mom got a message from Facebook saying her photos were a violation of the rules and that she risked being banned if the snap was reposted.

Since then, more than 2,600 images have been posted by group members.

"We are highly offended by Facebook's actions," Muir said. "I find it a very pure form of gender discrimination.

"We live in a culture that has hyper-sexualized the woman's breast; we would like them to leave the pictures alone."

A Facebook spokesman said it removes photos only if the entire breast is exposed.

"These policies are designed to ensure Facebook remains a safe, secure and trusted environment for all users, including the many children [over the age of 13] who use the site," said Barry Schnitt.

Brooklyn mom Karen McGratty, 33, doesn't understand why Facebook cares.

"The more people see breast-feeding, the more normal it becomes," said McGratty, a lactation consultant who organizes a nursing moms' support group in Dyker Heights. "It's a natural, beautiful state to be in."

cboyle@nydailynews.com

Shop safe at Tabutoys.com
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Adriana
Well, this doesn't involve me personally. I don't really care. However, I do remember the big to-do when the same thing happened at Livejournal sometime in the past year.
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
The way I see it - if we have tits, it involves us.
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Roadie
I have tits too...they are just non-functioning (why do men have nipples anyway?) But the way I see it...the ultra-conservative 'moral majority' have turned this country into the 'Land of the Prudes'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the human body...and even less wrong with breast feeding in public. It is a fact of life. I just wish people would get over thinking there is something wrong with doing it in public! How did women feed their babies before there was all this canned shit?

Guess thats why I love summer...I am a Boob Man!
Lovin My Wife...Lovin Life

Quote 0 0
the_end
i dont know why people throw fits about stuff like this if there is no nipple showing than there is no reason to remove the pictures. I think that a mothe bonding with her child through brest feeding is beautiful and should be celebrated.
Quote 0 0
Adriana
Tabu Toypro wrote:

The way I see it - if we have tits, it involves us.

Eh, I don't know. I have no children and plan to have none. I don't see my breasts as baby bottles and this doesn't personally affect me in any way so.. Really, I don't feel involved.
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
Two hundred seventeen years ago, Americans were given a gift almost unheard of in human history. We live in a country whose government is prohibited from restricting what we say and what we publish.

This amazing idea has even been extended to “expressive behavior”—to anything considered “art,” and to activities that can be construed as “political.” Good, that covers just about everything.

Two exceptions to this freedom have evolved:
* You can’t hurt anyone else while you’re expressing yourself.
This makes sense.
* You can’t discuss or portray sexuality in ways that offend a lot of people.
This makes no sense.

Read the rest of this article written by the fabulous Dr Marty Klein,
here.

Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0