No, you're not reading a headline from an old victorian newspaper. As this Today article will evidence, people are actually still fired for what they do in the privacy of their own homes. The issue began when the teacher, Jarretta Hamilton and her husband requested a standard 6 week maternity leave from the school principle, John Ennis. During the course of the meeting Mr. Ennis became suspicious of the newlyweds and actually asked them if they had engaged in premarital sex (Can you imagine?) which led to Jarretta's dismissal on the grounds of fornication.

Somebody pass me a mint julep, I believe I have the vapors.

Quote 0 0
Hank Alvarez
What do you expect? Florida, and a 'Christian school.' Our fifty states are fifty little countries loosely connected and some of them we could definitely do without. It really doesn't surprise me. After spending most of my working life in public high school and community college classrooms I have learned this: if you have a chicken shit administrator who's got a hard on for you, you haven't got a chance. Look at your own state's education code under 'grounds for dismissal or termination,' most of them are the same, and they're written up in such a way that they can fire you for almost anything. HHH
Quote 0 0
P Gell
OMG. I live in the North (near Chicago) and not all that many years ago, a friend of mine was working as an art teacher for a Private School, and she and her long time Live In Lover had a child together. No biggie, I thought. I saw her getting out of her car after work one day, and she had a wedding ring on her finger. I asked her "WTF?"  and she said that she pretended that the dude and she were married so she wouldn't lose her job. They have now been together around 30 years, never "got around to getting married" and are happy, in love and their Love Child is done with Grad School and lives her own married life,  and my friend still wears the fake wedding ring to work. Jobs are hard to come by, I guess.

I was astounded then, I still am now.
I can be tolerant of almost anything....except Intolerance........and Dairy Products
Quote 0 0
Hank Alvarez
In California, as in most states, there are 'morals' specifications with most state licensing provisions, and probably more so in teaching. They want to 'protect' the children and God forbid that teachers are human. They have a 'moral turpitude' clause that's kind of a catch all for what's not covered by what you did. If you work in K-12 education you have to be goody two shoes and if you do anything outside of your work hours that can get you fired too. You should have seen the shit storm when I married my wife who was also my student at the college at the time. She was in my advanced scuba and ocean rescue classes at the college. We'd known each other for about four years, worked together at a high school where she was my teacher's aid for about one and a half years, and we'd been living together for almost a year before we decided to make it legal. She was 27 and I was 42 when we tied the knot. She'd been living with a guy for about ten years before that and it ended as bad for her as my first marriage. When I tell people that I married a student you should see the shocked look on their faces. They look at me like I'm a pedophile. The only thing that saved me at the college was that I was her student there too. She taught the Red Cross advanced life saving course and scuba instructors have to re-qualify every three years. Fortunately my boss at the college was a good guy or I would have been toast. The hypocrisy of it makes me want to vomit. I still teach adults part time and I have to be very careful. A manuscript of mine got picked up for publication this year and I bet my ass will be grass over that and some asshole buysbody administrator will want to play lawnmower. HHH
Quote 0 0