Tabu Toypro
repost from The Grey Line

Regulars know The Grey Line does not censor its images or videos. Be it a post commenting on society's reaction to nudity or the need for explicit education, I refuse to censor the accompanying visual aide or choose to use a less explicit image. This is, of course, because The Grey Line is a staunch supporter of free speech, and believes information should never be censored for the benefit of the ill-minded.

The trouble is that Blogger, the blogging service the Line is hosted on, does not agree. Any nude image, no matter how tame or relevant, is considered "objectionable" to them. Thus, if a bunch of offended users flag a blog because of a sole nude pic, Blogger forces a Content Warning interstitial onto the blog.

This threat instills fear into bloggers who would otherwise post the occasional "objectionable" picture. Furthermore, the warning pages interferes with search engines and online services like Google Translate, causing even more censorship.

But all is not lost. Google recently released Product Ideas, a service that allows users to suggest features and improvements for Google Products. Using this service we can change Blogger's flagging system for the better. I put up my own suggestion, and it has been getting a positive response from users.

Please consider voting 'Yes' to reform Blogger's content warning.

We need to get this issue to the top of page for Blogger to take notice, so spread the word to your friends, bloggers, and readers. The last day to vote is Wednesday May 13th. (ed note - sorry folks - that was yesterday!)

It's time for Blogger to grow up and stop censoring its users and follow services like Wordpress and Tumblr, which allow unrestricted expression.

Thank you.

Posted by Angelo at 6:12 PM   

Shop safe at Tabutoys.com
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
Speaking of Censorship...how about Facebook disabling our tabutoys.com page because they "...do not allow any Pages to be created to promote or refer to adult products" ?  >  More on that in another post.
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Adriana
While I am all for free speech.. It seems like this is only happening when visitors flag the site as inappropriate so Blogger's not being overzealous here. They're simply listening to the masses.
Quote 0 0
Roadie
I do not blog nor do I read very many. However, I agree that censorship is not a good thing. It seems to me that if a blog is adult-oriented, there should be a warning...as there are on MANY sites. Simple enough..."This site contains Adult Material...If it offends you, dont open it!"

Adriana...I am not sure what you consider to be the masses, but I would almost be willing to bet that less than 10 people complained. Some people fall the concerns of the few before they listen to the views of the many.
Lovin My Wife...Lovin Life

Quote 0 0
dreamer60
I agree with Roadie. I also think there are other factors as well. In my generation of growing up we got TV. It served as a cool way to occupy the kids. Set a kid in front of the TV and you had an instant babysitter. Then we started being careful of what we allowed our kids to watch. Then came video games about the time my first child was born. With so much on TV that was inappropriate for the younuns, the video games took over as super sitter. Then the masses started complaining about content in the games our kids were buying and the internet became intergrated into our schools. This gave the reasoning that if the schools use it then it must be ok and parents don't have to be totally aware of what junior is doing on the computer.
They complain cuz their kids go on adult sites, but they don't want to monitor what they are doing on the computer until they find a charge for some adult oriented service on their credit card statement. Then it's the sites fault.
The solution is for parents to be more aware of their kids activities and go do something with them outside of the house. Geez....
Then there is Roadies reasoning, to which I will add this. The term "Bible thumpers" is not meant to offend anyone...but I do know that some highly religious people seek out anything they can to censor. The lack of control they have in their own lives forces them to nose into everything else in the world that they deem unsuitable and they have to have something to fight against.
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
The prudish ways of this country are confusing. They freaked out over a few seconds of Janet Jackson's breast (with a covered nipple I might add), they freak out over women breast-feeding in public and online, but turn on your tv during "family hour" and there's more simulated sex and drug use, let's not forget VIOLENCE and adult innuendos than one can stomach.

Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
Adriana
Roadie wrote:

I do not blog nor do I read very many. However, I agree that censorship is not a good thing. It seems to me that if a blog is adult-oriented, there should be a warning...as there are on MANY sites. Simple enough..."This site contains Adult Material...If it offends you, dont open it!"

Adriana...I am not sure what you consider to be the masses, but I would almost be willing to bet that less than 10 people complained. Some people fall the concerns of the few before they listen to the views of the many.

That is EXACTLY what the content warning is and I really don't see why it's such a big deal. And, really, if you don't like it.. buy your own hosting. Problem solved!
Quote 0 0