I have a vibrator. It is a jelly vibrator. I love this toy but according to environmentalists it is full of scary phthalates that want to kill me. How bad exactly are we talking here? From what I understand phthalates are in everything-hairspray, perfume, tupperware..will adding my vibrator to the mix really put me at risk? And, can I just put a condom over it?
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
To quote a famous song..."If you like it then you better put a rubber on it! " Ok so I altered it a bit, but yes - a condom over a jelly toy is a very smart move.

There is a lot of speculation about phthalates, but I'd err on the side of caution and cover it up. In the future try going with a silicone toy. Check out these great lines: Fun Factory, Tantus, Lelo
Shop safe at Tabutoys.com
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
naughtyeliot
As it stands there is no definitive proof that phthalates are harmful. I recommend that you research phthalates yourself, read the articles out there, and come to your own conclusions. If you're really worried about exposure, then by all means cover your jelly vibrator with a condom.

A word of advice: Don't believe everything all environmentalists say. Some of them are just as full of crap as anybody else.
Quote 0 0
Adriana
^ LOL but so true
Quote 0 0
Tabu Toypro
It's not just environmentalists saying that phthalates are dangerous. But personally, if a toy "sweats" on its own and leaves a greasy film on the packaging when removed and has the smell of gasoline about it - i'm not using it. With or without a condom!
Shop safe at Tabutoys.com
Read our Sex Blog!
Quote 0 0
naughtyeliot
Tabu Toypro wrote:

It's not just environmentalists saying that phthalates are dangerous. But personally, if a toy "sweats" on its own and leaves a greasy film on the packaging when removed and has the smell of gasoline about it - i'm not using it. With or without a condom!

I know it's not just environmentalists, but that's who Mayven mentioned in her post.

A toy that smells of gasoline?! Holy hell, I wouldn't use it, either! lol
Quote 0 0
Adriana
naughtyeliot wrote:

[quote author=Tabu Toypro link=topic=1190.msg4238#msg4238 date=1238682207]

I know it's not just environmentalists, but that's who Mayven mentioned in her post.

I have a  TPE vibe that smells slightly of gasoline - for reals.. but I like it cause I'm weird like that. (Well, I like the smell but the toy didn't do it for me.)
Quote 0 0
naughtyeliot
Adriana wrote:

[quote author=naughtyeliot link=topic=1190.msg4286#msg4286 date=1239133289]
[quote author=Tabu Toypro link=topic=1190.msg4238#msg4238 date=1238682207]

I have a  TPE vibe that smells slightly of gasoline - for reals.. but I like it cause I'm weird like that. (Well, I like the smell but the toy didn't do it for me.)

Oh, I love the smell of gasoline, too, but I'm not sure I'd put a toy that smelled like it inside me. Though I have inserted some strong-smelling toys... lol
Quote 0 0
Adriana
It's a really light smell. I figure slight gasoline smell is better than horrible jelly smell. d=
Quote 0 0
naughtyeliot
Adriana wrote:

It's a really light smell. I figure slight gasoline smell is better than horrible jelly smell. d=

Good point. hehe
Quote 0 0
human_fighter
yeah... use a condom with your jelly toys or be happy that if something kills you it will be the sex?
Quote 0 0